Parcelhub Enforces the Use of Secure Communication to Protect Customer Data
In preparation for The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), Parcelhub has carefully reviewed and enhanced business processes with new system development projects. A cornerstone of these enhancements is providing encryption for all of their services, while phasing out non-encrypted options in a sensitive and unobtrusive manner.
With the cost of data breaches averaging £2.48 million, or £98 per record, it’s no wonder why firms in the B2B space are making enhanced protection a key priority. A study conducted by IBM found that ‘extensive use of encryption’ was one of the most influential catalysts for reducing the cost of data breaches.
For firms in the B2C space, the number of retailers reporting data breaches has doubled in the past year, with more than a third having experienced a data breach on more than one occasion.
Combined political, technological and societal pressures have resulted in companies from a plethora of industries introducing encryption, amongst many other new data protection methods.
David Ward-Webster, IT Support at Parcelhub, explained: “For almost all of our customers these changes went unnoticed. Seamless redirection commands automatically moved people using the old unencrypted HTTP services to the newer encrypted HTTPS service without any interruption to service use. And a great deal of notice and support has been given to those few that did require updates. We now treat encryption as compulsory, building it in as standard to all our new services so customers don’t have to do anything, but know their data is secure.”
What is encryption?
David continued: “Encryption scrambles data so that people or devices are unable to understand it unless they have the required encryption key to revert it back to normal. This process aims to prevent consumer and client data from being read if anyone was ever to intercept or copy it. This results in increased security when sending information from one location to another.
“The risks for online retailers, brands and wholesalers utilising Parcelhub have until now been the same as for anyone else. People and devices that can intercept your information can read it, unless it is encrypted. This leaves any sensitive data exposed as it travels from one place or website, to another. However, once your data is encrypted, only people or devices with the encryption key can unlock and unscramble the contents.
“Historically, Parcelhub has made it optional for its customers – hundreds of retailers, brands and wholesalers – and carrier partners, to use encryption to secure data transferred to and from the delivery management firm. Parcelhub is now helping enforce the use of a security protocol.”
James Rhodes, Data Protection Officer at Parcelhub, explained: “Parcelhub is fully committed to leading the way in GDPR compliance. We have put in place robust procedures covering the safe deletion of personal data after limited retention periods, and are restricting any transfer of data outside our immediate systems. It is our intention to offer guidance to customers to help their own compliance practices while working with us.”
Parcelhub now has 97% of its traffic encrypted and its in-house, Nottingham-based software development team are currently working on encrypting the remaining 3%.
Connor Taylor, Senior Systems Administrator at Parcelhub, concluded: “We are contacting customers to help move them to encrypted communication methods, and we will advise customers we see using an unsecured protocol on how they can become secure. We are doing this because we want to protect our customers’ data and ensure they stay in line with current and future law, with the advent of GDPR and further changes planned. We are close to reaching the 100% stage of no customers sending Parcelhub data in an unsecure manner, and ensuring that any current and future customers remain secure.”
About Parcelhub – The bespoke parcel shipping solution.
Parcelhub is a multi-carrier shipping and eCommerce customer services solution. Flexible and scalable, it integrates seamlessly with marketplaces, eCommerce platforms, OMS and WMS systems, providing hundreds of multichannel retailers, global brands and wholesalers with one access point to 20+ carrier partners and 300+ services.
Distributing more than 6 million parcels on its own carrier contracts every year, Parcelhub’s free multi-carrier shipping software grants hundreds of national and global businesses access to ‘pooled volume’ discounted rates from its carefully selected range of carrier partners, including Yodel, Hermes, DPD, UK Mail, DHL, Whistl, UPS, DX, Parcelforce, CollectPlus, SkyNet, ArrowXL, Interpost, Panther Logistics, Direct Link and Palletforce. Dedicated proactive parcel management comes as standard.